The use of psychedelic substances has been a widely debated topic for decades, with proponents and detractors arguing vehemently about their effects on human health and well-being. One such substance that has recently gained popularity for its purported benefits and risks is the psychedelic mushrooms or “shrooms”.
As a result of this, a new term has emerged among hikers and outdoor enthusiasts – the “Psychedelic Trail”. This is a trail where hikers take shrooms to enhance their hiking experience. However, is it safe to hike on shrooms? What benefits does it provide? What risks come along with it?
The Benefits of Hiking on Shrooms:
Proponents of hiking on shrooms claim a number of benefits of the practice. These include:
1. Increased sensory and spiritual experiences: Psychedelic substances such as shrooms are known to heighten sensory experiences, and this is said to enhance the beauty of nature for hikers.
2. Enhanced Creativity: Shrooms are known to enhance creativity and imagination, allowing some hikers to find new perspectives and inspire creativity.
3. Emotional Healing: Some hikers have attested to feeling emotionally healed after hiking on shrooms. This is because shrooms can provoke introspection and offer insights into a person’s thought patterns and emotional state.
4. Reduced Anxiety and Depression: Hiking in nature is a proven method for reducing anxiety and depression. The use of shrooms can further enhance this effect by promoting a positive mindset among hikers.
The Risks of Hiking on Shrooms:
While proponents of hiking on shrooms claim several benefits, there are also some associated risks that hikers should bear in mind. These include:
1. Physical Discomfort: Apart from the risk of dehydration and hypothermia, shrooms can cause physical discomfort such as nausea, vomiting, and restless legs syndrome.
2. Dangerous Behaviours: Hikers under the influence of shrooms may engage in dangerous behaviors such as wandering off-trail. This increases the possibilities of getting lost, falling off steep embankments, or encountering wildlife dangerously.
3. Impaired Decision Making: Psychedelic mushrooms can cause confusion, delusions, and even hallucinations, which can impair decision-making abilities, leaving hikers vulnerable to accidents.
4. Legal Complications: The consumption and possession of psychedelic mushrooms are illegal in some countries, and hikers risk facing legal actions for possessing or consuming such substances.
Hiking on shrooms can be a unique experience that can elevate a person’s connection to nature and provide many benefits like heightened creativity, emotional healing, spiritual experiences, and reduced anxiety and depression. However, hiking on shrooms also poses several risks that hikers should be aware of before consuming the substance. It is therefore important to be cautious and take measures to limit risks, such as hiking with trusted friends who are sober, avoiding dangerous areas, and paying close attention to legal aspects. Ultimately, hiking on shrooms is an individual choice, and the risks and benefits must be carefully weighed before embarking on such a journey.