Martha’s Vineyard is one of the most scenic places on earth. It is a place where you can enjoy nature at its best. The island boasts of many hiking trails that offer breathtaking views of the surrounding areas. So, if you are planning to visit Martha’s Vineyard, be sure to explore the hiking trails to experience nature’s glory.
Here are some of the best hiking trails you can explore on the island:
1. Aquinnah Cliffs: This is one of the best hikes on the island. The trail runs along the cliffs, offering spectacular views of the ocean and the surrounding cliffs. The hike is about 1.5 miles and takes about an hour to complete. The trail is easy, making it perfect for families with children.
2. Menemsha Hills: This is a moderate hike that offers stunning views of the ocean and the surrounding islands. The hike is about 2 miles and takes about 2 hours to complete. You will climb up a steep hill, but the view from the top is worth it. You will see rolling hills, a lighthouse, and the ocean stretching out to the horizon.
3. Long Point Wildlife Refuge: This hike is perfect for bird and nature lovers. The trail runs through a wildlife refuge, with several habitats, including the beach, ocean, forest, and grasslands. You will see many bird species, including the endangered piping plover. The hike is about 3.5 miles and takes about 3 hours to complete.
4. Cedar Tree Neck Wildlife Sanctuary: This hike is about 2 miles and takes about 2 hours to complete. The trail runs through woods and fields, offering breathtaking views of the vineyards and the ocean. You will also see several birds and wildlife species on this hike.
5. Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary: This hike is perfect for families with children. The trail runs through a wildlife sanctuary, with several habitats, including the pond, forest, and meadows. You will see many bird species, including ospreys, and other wildlife species such as turtles and frogs. The hike is about 1.5 miles and takes about an hour to complete.
As you can see, Martha’s Vineyard offers some of the best hiking trails on the east coast. The island’s natural beauty is unparalleled, and exploring the hiking trails is the best way to experience it. So, be sure to add one or more of these hiking trails to your itinerary when you visit Martha’s Vineyard.